The purpose of this certificate is to equip individuals from the broader business community with fundamental skills in visual communication, such as creating and editing newsletters, advertisements, technical illustrations, photographs, web sites, and videos. Participants will also acquire skills in social media marketing. Those who work in business office technology, real estate, sales, marketing, administration, education, science, engineering, healthcare, small business, and other industries will benefit from these skills as they communicate with customers, management, investors, colleagues, students, patients, and the general public. Complete each course to be applied toward the certificate with a “C” or better.
This certificate supports visual communication skills to enhance any profession.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to
- Evaluate the suitability of an eCommerce revenue model for a specific application.
- Evaluate the suitability of different forms of digital marketing for a specific application.
- Apply software skills in the creation and modification of digital media.
- Apply design principles and/or specification standards to the creation of digital media content.
Electives (complete 3 of the following courses)
|DMA 102||Digital Imaging||BSOT C075, ENGL C101||3|
|DMA C107||Computer Illustration||BSOT C075, ENGL C101||3|
|DMA C111||Fundamentals of Web Development||BSOT C075, ENGL C101||3|
|DMA C131||Digital Video Production||DMA C102, ENGL C101||3|
Capstone Course (complete the following course)
|DMA 201||e-Commerce and Social Media Marketing||BSOT C075, ENGL C101||3|
Upon entering the program, you should be strong in the following skills:
- Perform computer start up and shut down procedures correctly.
- Use computer input and output devices, such as the keyboard, mouse, stylus, trackball, or printer with proficiency.
- Access and manage login accounts and documents effectively. This includes downloading, creating, naming, retrieving, and decompressing files and folders with an awareness of file size, location of saved files and folders, and available space on storage media and a clear distinction between various campus, email, and course login accounts.
- Perform editing tasks, such as copying, cutting, and pasting of content and applying spell checking.
- Send an outgoing e-mail with an attachment, and open an incoming e-mail and its attachment.
- Search and navigate the Internet and other types of media and environments easily.
- Be aware of the need to evaluate Internet content for relevance, authenticity, authority, and currency.
If you are not comfortable completing the above tasks, you should complete BSOT C075 Computer Literacy before taking any digital media arts courses.
Reading and Writing
You should also have college-level reading and writing skills including
- Comprehend central points of a variety of text sources.
- Write short essays without major grammar and spelling errors.
This certificate requires 2 semesters for completion, and the following is a recommended sequence of courses:
- DMA C201
Of course, you have the option of taking fewer classes each semester and completing the program over a longer period of time.